To enable Perceivant access to Read-Only data from your Canvas instance, you will need to create a developer key and provide some information back to Perceivant.
Once the key is set-up, send the following information to Perceivant:
- The number above the Show Key button
- The dev key (click Show Key)
- Your Canvas URL
Set Up Developer Key
- In Global Navigation, click the Admin link, then click the name of the main level account.
- In Account Navigation, click the Developer Keys link.
- Click the Add Developer Key button.
- If you have enabled the LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage feature option in your account, you will also need to click the Add API Key option.
- Enter the settings for the developer key:
- Key Name: Perceivant Data
- Owner Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Redirect URI: https://lti.perceivant.com/oauth/associate_admin_callback
- Redirect URIs: <leave empty>
- Vendor Code (LTI 2): <leave empty>
- Icon URL: <leave empty>
- Notes: This key has been created to enable Perceivant API access for data analysis
- Test Cluster Only: <leave empty>
- Click Enforce Scopes.
- Select the following scopes (Be careful. Many of the scope names look very similar.):
url:GET|/api/v1/accounts -- Used to obtain the list of accounts for use in filtering
url:GET|/api/v1/accounts/:account_id/courses -- Used to obtain a list of courses in each account for collecting information on each course
url:GET|/api/v1/courses/:course_id/analytics/student_summaries -- Used to obtain participation data for students in the course
url:GET|/api/v1/courses/:course_id/assignments -- Used to obtain a list of assignments in the course
url:GET|/api/v1/users/:user_id/courses/:course_id/assignments -- Used to obtain a list of assignments for a specific student for the course
url:POST|/api/v1/conversations -- Used to send messages via Canvas's built-in messaging directly from the Instructor Dashboard when installed
url:GET|/api/v1/conversations -- Used to obtain a list of conversations for a specific student for display
url:GET|/api/v1/conversations/:id -- Used to obtain messages in a specific conversation for displaying conversation data in our app
url:GET|/api/v1/courses/:id -- Used to get course information (name, timezone)
url:GET|/api/v1/courses/:course_id/enrollments -- Used to get a list of the students in a course
url:GET|/api/v1/accounts/:account_id/terms -- Used to obtain a list of terms for use in filtering
url:GET|/api/v1/courses/:course_id/quizzes -- Used to get quiz information for a course
url:GET|/api/v1/courses/:course_id/students/submissions -- Used to get submission information for a course (late, missing, grade)
url:GET|/api/v1/accounts/:account_id/users -- Used to obtain a list of users for gathering per-student data
url:GET|/api/v1/users/:id -- Used to load information on an individual student as to not have to pull back the list of students for an entire account
url:GET|/api/v1/users/:user_id/page_views -- Used to display information on a student's activity within a course (when the opened assignments, quizzes, study materials)
url:GET|/api/v1/users/:user_id/profile -- Used to verify the developer credentials
- Click the Save Key button.
- View the Developer Key for your account. Under the Details column, copy the number above the Show Key button and the key that is in the pop-up when you click Show Key.
- Send the number above Show Key, the Dev Key, and the school’s Canvas URL to Perceivant.
- Make sure to turn the key ON.
- Once the info is received by Perceivant, we will provide an authorization url for the Canvas admin to authorize the use of the developer key. We will also send the key and secret we generate for you to use to set up the external tools in the next step.